If you’re planning on installing new windows in your home, there are a few things you’ll need to do to prepare. First, you’ll need to measure the opening of each window to make sure you order the right size. Next, you’ll need to remove the old windows and any trim around them. Once the openings are clear, you can install the new windows and add any new trim as needed. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you through the process.
- Measure the window openings. You’ll need to know the width and height of each opening, as well as the depth of the rough opening. The depth is important because it will determine how far out from the wall the new window will sit.
- Remove the old windows. Once you have the measurements, you can remove the old windows. Start by removing any trim around the perimeter of the window. Then, using a pry bar, carefully remove the window sashes from the frame. Once the sashes are removed, you can take out the entire window unit.
- Prepare the openings for the new windows. Use a chisel and hammer to remove any old caulk or putty around the perimeter of the opening. Then, use a utility knife to score any paint that might be sealing the opening shut. This will make it easier to install the new windows.
- Install the new windows. Start by placing the new window unit into the opening. Then, using shims, level the window and make sure it’s plumb (vertically straight). Once the window is level and plumb, you can secure it in place with screws.
- Add trim around the new windows. Once the windows are installed, you can add any new trim as needed. This includes adding a sill (the horizontal piece of trim at the bottom of the window), as well as any other pieces of trim that will give the window a finished look.
Installing new windows can be a big project, but it’s one that you can do yourself with a little time and effort. By following these steps, you can ensure that your new windows are installed correctly and will look great for years to come.
We’re here to help with your window installation in Stillwater, MN at any time.
Call to Get Scheduled
Countrywide Contracting Inc is ready to help with your window installation in Stillwater, MN. Call our team at 651-528-7451 today.